Better Is One Day

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Nungi Fi

Well, we are here!  It has been a really interesting six days thus far.  Starting in TLH on Tuesday morning and ending here Wednesday morning.  I didn't sleep except for 45 minutes the night before we left and then I only slept for about 1-2 hours on the plane ride over.  Not because of anything but excitement and nerves.. my body literally would just not go to sleep. 

We were really excited to be here.  But then exhaustion kicked in.  We had to stay up the whole day to start trying to get on a normal schedule.  It was probably one of the toughest days ever.  We met a lot of people and went to a lot of places that I really do not remember.  I wish I could say that I was immediately enthralled with being here and loving the culture (seeing as I've heard SO many good things... cough, Mel & Min) but that would be an outright lie.  In fact, I couldn't believe this is where I would be for the next two years.  Everything is soo different.  Just the idea of learning to drive here alone would make someone want to pack their bags and leave.  From day one, I keep having to remind myself over and over that He is sovereign and knows what He's doing.  It's been difficult I think mostly because there isn't a lot of English here and we really feel like helpless babies - not able to talk, eat correctly (yes, we tried but were given bibs and spoons.. haha!), drive, turn on the stove, etc.  Mostly the language, though.  I think once that comes it will get better.  I can't wait to actually start learning and practicing.  We start with our tutor tomorrow. 

The welcome and the team here has been great.  Although, I think that Becky thinks that I'm completely incompetent sometimes :)  We had our first worship experience today and that was really great.  It was in English which was surprising but it was a blessing to understand.  And the message was on the GC!  No joke!  It was directed at the nationals but I was so encouraged as well as the pastor reminded us that the enemy gets in our mind to tell us we can't do anything! 

They do have the best ice cream on the planet though! 

Here's some pictures to catch y'all up!!  Tried to do a video but it took too long.  Will try again later :)


Last American meal:  Pizza and coke!


About to board!!!




Our room and the welcome sign behind it :)  We look a HAWT mess after traveling.


First dinner that Becky cooked.  Notice the coke AND fanta in the background!


View from the roof of our apartment!


It is official:  I can survive here.  First $5 frozen pizza consumed. Although, Becky has to light to stove for me until I feel comfortable sticking a match down in the oven! :)


Here's some fun random facts from the first few days here:
1)  We have our new names.  Mine is Mariama and Amanda's is Amina.
2) The most heinous smell ever was all over our room in the apartment (because windows stay open and neighbors are REAL close) - Becky's response: "I can see how that would be offensive to the senses.
3)  The first night we lay down- within five minutes - no power = no fans.  Didn't matter though.  I had been up for about 60 hours with little sleep so I could have slept through anything.
4) Driving here = insane.  Whoever is occupying space at that moment in time has the right of way.  The most humorous thing is the fact that there are road signs that might as well not exist.
5)  It's pretty humorous when people say a long sentence to you in another language and all you can do is look at them.  I have no idea how to say anything other than I'm here.  That will change tomorrow :)



I'm posting this from a restaurant with Wifi until we can get our internet up and running in our apartment.  At that point, I would like to be more faithful updating. 








No comments:

Post a Comment