Better Is One Day

Sunday, October 16, 2011

I'm thinking... [dehydrated] corn for dinner

First, to explain the title, let me share with you mine and Amanda's eating habits for the past 11 days.

Mine:  Rice Krispy Treats, Fruit Roll Ups, Frozen Pizza, Fries, Coke
Amanda: Bread with peanut butter, bread with cheese, banana-apple sauce, roasted corn from the side of the road

Now, my eating habits here and not too far from my eating habits in America.  One day, I will get up the nerve to try a hamburger here.  Amanda's newfound eating habits have me a bit concerned tho ;)  Especially regarding the fact that she has had two sodas in a two day period.  And she hasn't been able to exercise (which we all know doesn't bother me one bit). 

I have yet to find my African equivalent of "nasi goreng."

We've had one full week of language learning.  It's a definite slow process.  As I read a friend's blog, I could sympathize completely when she wrote that she thought when people said learning a language was hard business, she thought they just weren't trying hard enough. 




What else is there?

We had our first taste of the drink of choice here: Attaya.  The third round is the best!

I was also asked if I could sweep like the people do here at that same house.  I said sure.  So then he told me to show them.  So I walked over and took the broom from the cleaning lady and began to sweep.  Apparently, I did a poor job of it.  Just one more example of my non-homemaker ways :)


 
Last but not least...  Amanda and I go to this little "fast food" joint within walking distance of our apartment.  Our limited language skills broke down today.  I tried to get a schwarma with only chicken, not "mixed meat" whatever that is.  So basically, instead of a schwarma, I got a lot of chicken on a plate.  It was actually pretty good too.  Amanda and I will probably split it next time because I can never eat that much.  Plus, Amanda ended up with "mixed meat" schwarma.  The good thing about this place is that we have seen the same girl twice so it is fun attempting to speak with her.  We all chuckle when Amanda and I walk in at the ridiculous "toubabs" that can't cook - thus, we venture forth for food.


If you would just continue to lift us up that would be greatly appreciated.  I try to make the blog as fun and lighthearted as possible but in reality, culture shock is rearing it's ugly head (in different ways) for both of us.  I'm trying to take it day by day and not have unrealistic expectations of myself but it's hard.  I would just like a fast-forward button through this period but since that is not possible I'm praying for new mercies every morning.  









No comments:

Post a Comment