A. White and I have a philosophy that if you lower your expectations, then typically you're not dissapointed. Let me tell you. I've mastered and perfected that skill in W. Africa when it comes to trying new things here. It's also amazing when your expectations are really low and you actually find something really good, it's on par with a miracle in your mind :) Well, this may be just a slight exaggeration but slight is the key word.
Case in point: two restaurants - Shaddy Shack (what a name!) and Caesar's. Shaddy shack has a really good hamburger (and I mean good by even American standards) and Caesar's has chicken that is not just "chicken chunks." PTL for these two places as they will supply 90% of my eating habits the next two years! hahaha :)
This really is just going to be a completely random post.
Thankfully, Blue Thunder is back in our lives. Just wanted y'all to see this beauty! I attempted for the first time this morning to drive her.. it went okay. I'm convinced that she does what she wants to. I tried real hard to do the fancy footwork manuevering only to have her rebel against my wishes and come to a screaching halt several times as the nationals stare and Amanda fears for her life in the backseat. Hopefully, one day I'll be able to win her heart :)
Friday night fun! You can't tell in this picture but it's pitch black so we busted out the headlamps. We got home to no power (it went off before we left at 4:30ish). It proceded to stay off the entire night. Amanda literally lays in her bed with the hand fan at night and doesn't sleep.. I sleep off and on. Last night, I had to use the restroom in the middle of the night and took the opportunity to stick my head in the sink to re-wet my hair to keep things cool. When we say that (working + power usable) fans are our best friend, that is the honest truth.
Few noteworthy things:
1) I literally saw people go the wrong way in the roundabouts here this week. This is just incredible to me. I mean, traffic was backed up the correct way so they just go the opposite! Makes perfect West African sense.
2) We got to help out cleaning at one of the centers here this week that has gone downhill over the years and has just been used for storage. It's a really nice facility and we're excited to see how He's going to use it while we're here!
3) Attended a fall festival at the expat kids school here (DA). Super weird to be around so many English speakers. We got to square dance though! Are we supposed to dance? I'm not sure if I broke any rules... :) Good time to just relax and let loose for a little bit.
4) Went to the "market of thieves" for the first time. Nothing was stolen although it is an experience being hassled to come buy things. Hopefully, making some national friends and going with them will be better than three white girls going alone.
5) Becky asks Amanda if she "wants one ball of ice cream or two...?" Now, I know eventually it will be hard to recall English for us too but for the time being, it's really funny when Becky says something off in English.
6) Fridays are important in the Mslm tradition here. Everyone wears their best clothes. We were driving home from somewhere this past Friday and witnessed mass amounts of mainly men and boys "making the pilgrimage" to the msqe to pr. It is really sad to see.
No comments:
Post a Comment