Tuesday, October 11, 2011
Our first views of the city! Plus other fun tidbits.
This is about at 7 am in the morning after one of the craziest custom experiences ever. The good thing is that the government official guy didn't even say a word to me - just made me look into a camera and give my fingerprints. No questions. No words. The worst part was the baggage claim and "x-ray-ing" it as people were pretty pushy.
We have started language lessons. Our tutor is really great. Although spending multiple hours on an alphabet is not my cup of tea. I like to make up my own conjuations to things and write them down on our dry erase board for our tutor to see. She just looks at them in disqust and it's kinda funny. Today, she asked a question and I recognized one word in it: name. So naturally, I respond in Wolof - My name is Lindy. She about died laughing though because she was asking the name of my teacher (referring to herself). I don't know. I am going to say "Peace only" to every question from now on because that is a safe answer :)
Yesterday, we went to this mall. Becky informs us that the mall was "trashy." This sounds completely normal within our context so Amanda and I do not think anything of her wording. Then we walk into this super nice mall. And voila! I've been transported out of Africa. Literally. Becky busts out laughing because she was trying to make our expectations as low as possible so we would be pleasantly surprised.. which worked really well!!! :)
We now sucessfully have internet in our apartment. It took us (and by us, I mean Becky) 9 phone calls and 1 trip to the store to make it work.
We decided today upon returning to the United States of America, we are going to burn every skirt that we see. Skirts are really annoying because 1) they are long 2) they trap heat 3) that heat becomes sweat 4) that sweat sticks between legs 5) you then must wear leggings 6) that is ridiculous and is another hot layer of clothing.
It was also quite humorous today riding in the truck listening to Shania Twain's, "Man, I feel like a woman." A woman is the last thing I feel like :) But it was fun to jam out to it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
bahaha I love reading your posts! Thinking of you two!!!
ReplyDelete