Better Is One Day

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Things that go through my head...

I usually don't blog about anything other than random fun things that I think might be of interest/amuse other people.  There are only a couple of occasions that I can remember deviating from that platform.  So if my thoughts on the world at large are the equivalent of a hill of beans to you, then you should just skip this post completely and I promise to return to fun things later.

I just think about how my perspective has changed so much over three years.  I may sound critical of what I deem "the general American population" but trust me, I have been, for many years, the epitome of what I am frustrated by.  And I have no concrete answers for anything.  Thinking about everything does no more (unless somehow it moves to action in some small or large way) than the person who has no clue what's going on.  

So all of that just to say...  I have been keeping a close eye on the news.  Those living here with me have heard me talk about this so much lately. I have been following the story of the Ambassador that was killed since the story first broke. One article claiming that some men were trying to save him stood out.  I don't know the truth.  I wasn't there.  But my cynical heart tells me that maybe, oh maybe, that wasn't the case...   but who knows?

It is encouraging to see pictures of people holding signs showing solidarity in the situation.  It gives me a sliver of hope.  I then clicked on a video, an intro showing the Ambassador and just explaining a little of his background, his genuine care, the relationship he hoped to see, etc....  and it just hit me...  He loved these people.  And a few of them turned on him.  [As I type this, maybe this story hits me so much because it's what I believe happened 2000 years ago and still is happening today.  I don't know.]  And then I see pictures of him being pulled out of the building and for some reason unknown to me - this particular story has just left an impact on me.  And depresses me at the same time.

I find that most people in America don't even know what's going on and a lot of those who do just spew the nastiest comments about the situation as possible.  And I think that most people that hate "us" so much have no idea who we really are i.e. we are not all the same - the world at large still thinks we are "Christian America".  (Generalizations, I know!)  I just wish there was some massive scale people swap because it truly is when you get to know a people - the everyday normal people, who have families, who have hopes, dreams, who cook dinner every night - that you begin to care for the people as actual people and not as a "them."  So as for me, I hope the people here see in me the opposite of every preconceived (bad) notion they may have about an American or a Christian.  I don't always do the best job.  But I'm trying.  And I hope to, in the near future, get some dialogue going with the University students about this very topic.

Anyhow.  That is all.  I came across this article (it's dated March 2012) and it has stood out to me as well in a good way.  One of those rare times.  Read it if you have the time.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/envoy/israel-hearts-iran-peace-campaign-takes-off-facebook-160645131.html 


No comments:

Post a Comment