Better Is One Day

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Truckin' along!

So.. I haven't written a blog in a VERY long time!  The reason for that is two-fold:  a) until recently, we've been extremely busy with teams/meetings/etc and b) [the real reason] We're just truckin' along!  As crazy as it sounds, living here has become normal so that the oddities of life that I used to post about no longer seem crazy to me and therefore I don't think about writing about them.  I don't know whether to be happy with or mortified by that thought... :)

Soooo... for starters, I'll try to catch up a little bit about what is going on recently.. then later on down, post some fun pics from the summer!

It's our first rainy season here.  To me, the rain is a welcome temporary relief from the heat.  But for most of the people here, it's dreaded.  Two days during registration last week for class, we were without power at the center because the concrete tunnels they built for electricity lines were flooded (or so we were told that was the reason).  Several people in the area we work in died to due houses collapsing.  In GY, the houses are like a mini-compound... so you walk in to an open space and there are different rooms all around that center opening for bedrooms, etc.  As we drove by, we could see people standing in that open space with huge buckets just scooping buckets full of water from out of their flooded compounds.  It was really sad.  It also prompted a riot one day because apparently, every year this happens, people get flooded/mad, and they want the government to do something (what? I don't know).  So there was some tire burning action but memory here is SUPER short-term so as soon as the rain goes away, everyone forgets and gets back on with life.



Flooding...




All the stuff that people throw out cause of damage...


So, as you can tell...  the combination of water, sand, sewage and trash are definitely NOT helping the aesthetic view of the city... :)

In other news, we just finished the month of fasting here - Ramadan.  It was a new experience for us and one that we didn't really care too much for.  People don't do anything!  Which I can't blame them - if I was not drinking water during these temperatures - I would be as useless as mud too!  But it was just a stretch for us to continue visiting people.  So we "broke the fast" at nighttime with some of friends.  One night, we were served fish balls.  Yes.  Fish. Balls.  As in meatballs, but with fish.  Can I please tell you...  I've come A LONG way to liking fish as much as I do - but fish balls are not good.  


Some people praying at the end of Ramadan holiday!

Classes have started back up this week at one of the centers!  I really do love teaching!  It's so fun to see the students get it and sharing stories at the end of class is a great way for them to practice and hear the great story!  

Alright... here are some pictures from the summer...  :)


Mel and I being goofballs....  or maybe just me?


This is one of my favorite things about the ropes course- a zip line in a boat.. :)


Zipline!!  

One day, Mel and I went to Goree Island...  We get on the ferry to come back and decide to sit in the front, outside.  So then about 5 schoolgirls sit down next to us.  The next thing we know, we are literally packed in like sardines with a school class...  It was hilarious!


These girls were cracking me up.. each of them had a plastic bottle that they had collected sand and sea water with little crabs, etc.. and they each had to show me theirs!


Mel playing the rock game with some kids outside our friends house!


Tons of children dancing and hearing stories!

Okay...  I think that is enough for now..  I'm going *to try* to be better about updating more often!  After seeing all that fun, who wants to come visit?? :)


No comments:

Post a Comment