Story Number One:
We are eating lunch with the guard at the office. Every time we go to the office, he always tells us that we are too American and "don't have his time." So this past Saturday, we decided to head up there for a couple hours and play ping-pong with him. Well, he decided he would cook us lunch. At first, Amanda and I were really impressed because here is a guy who cooks.... that is unheard of here. Well, he gave us our bowls of rice, tomato, onions, carrots and meat. Then, someone honked so he had to go open the gate. Amanda and I look at our bowls... and pieces of the meat are GREEN! Like the edges of the meat chunks are a lime green. We stare in horror for a minute before I say to Amanda, "I can't eat this." She says, "Do you have something in your bag that you can put it in?" I say, "No, but that is a good idea. I'm gonna put pieces in my bag and just clean it out later." As I pick out the greenest pieces and walk to my bag, an idea of brilliance flashes through my mind. We're on the third floor so I decide to chuck the pieces of meat off the side of the balcony into the neighbors yard. Some animals are really gonna appreciate my generosity. The guard is still downstairs and Amanda is telling me to hurry up. I decide to get a few more green pieces and dispose of them and Amanda hands me some of hers. Then I move the meat around on my bowl so it was not noticeable. I was having flashbacks of being a kid and the food wars with my parents. I was soo good at taking food and disposing of it - kitchen, bathroom, pockets. Those days prepared me well for Africa :)
Story Number Two:
As you can see from some of the pictures below, the roads are absolutely terrible here after the rains. It will just wipe out pieces of road and there will be huge craters. You can be driving through a flooded area and have no idea how deep it is or if there is a hole you're about to drive through. Well, last night, we drove our language teacher home and then were driving to the center because we were meeting a friend for dinner in that area. It is pitch black and there are no street lights whatsoever. I'm driving along - doing my best to not flood Ole Blue. At one point, I'm driving along and there are several cars coming the other direction with their brights on. This completely blinds me. I tell Amanda, "I can't see a thing. I can't see a thing." At the end of me saying that, Amanda says, "We're going down." At that exact moment, I hit an edge and we dropped like a foot of into a crater in the road. I screamed because it scared me.. This doesn't seem as funny written out but it's one of those scenes that one day I'd like to replay in Heaven :)
Story Number Three:
So we're at the friends house mentioned above and we're talking about how the hot season doesn't let us be girly. Now mind you, I don't consider myself uber girly but you definitely do miss dressing up and looking nice when you can't do it anymore because of the heat and humidity. So then I mentioned to our friend that the combination of heat/dust/etc gave me pimples too. So she then informed me that if you have a pimple - it means someone loves you! That's certainly a different way of looking at it! Lucky me- I have two! haha! And Amanda had four! Our friend only had one. But now, we call these Pimples of Love!
We decided to brave the mud and go Fabric shopping.. Trish was laughing because every time I held up the camera to snap a picture, someone walked in front of me!
We go a little insane buying fabric. This lady gave us a good deal!
Road near our house - it didn't flood bad where we live but it wipes out roads!
The neighborhood right across the street from us :(
Our friend's baby cousin.
Close-up of the amulet necklace she had on.
As we're walking outside, a guy let us hold his baby sheep! They are the most precious things ever!
He insisted that Amanda hold and take a picture too even though she is so-so about animals.
Late night hangout :) Lookin' good!
No comments:
Post a Comment