Better Is One Day

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Tabaski Prep

Most people are gearing up for a Mslm holiday here known as Tabaski.  It is more commonly known around the world as Eid al-Adha.  It is a holiday to remember "Ibrahima's willingness to sacrifice Ishmael but God provided instead."  [Yeah, there's an error in their telling of the story..  what is interesting is that their book does not say the child's name.. it's just assumed..]

So.. there are sheep EVERYWHERE!  As you can see from the video below, every available patch of land has been turned into a sheep selling market.  On November 7th, after morning pryers, families will sacrifice their male sheep as atonement for sin.  Most of you know how much I love animals so this is really disturbing to me.  The only consolation I have is the fact that these people are not wasteful and all the meat is consumed.  In fact, families are supposed to eat 1/3 of the meat, give 1/3 to families & friends, and finally, give the last third to the poor.  We've already been promised some sheep meat.. and Becky is currently trying to find recipies.  Not sure if I will be eating this or not....  I'm about 95% sure I'm not. 

It is such a big holiday here.  People buy new clothes, spend a chunk of money on a sheep and take time off.  People spend all of their money on this one day.  The saddest thing is that atonement has already been made.  None of this is necessary. 

I will not be able to remember the sacrifice the Jesus made in the same way after seeing this take place.   Just ask my roommates - I'm currently obsessed with "lamb music" - mainly Hillsong's "Worthy is the Lamb."  I'm so thankful that He provided our Lamb. 

The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!"

No comments:

Post a Comment