Here are a few highlights of the day :)
It's hard to read the sign but I think it says.. "Happy Birthday Lindy!" ...and I'm still not sure who the random guy is on the end.. next to Sarah... Chase? <speculations> haha!
ALL of the Facebook posts were amazing! Your comments and encouragement and pryers mean soo much!! Audra.. your post almost brought me to tears... :)
So here's how I spent the day:
I decided it was American day. American food. American clothes. Well, you get the idea. We started off with "language class" which got transformed into American breakfast with our teacher (plus, a real short lesson and outing).
Pancakes! I brought the mix from home, dropped $8 to get some American syrup... the country ham was given as a gift by a team that just came through! (plus some apples just to have something else to pour syrup on .. haha!)
Notice the jeans!!!! Oh so nice to wear jeans.....
Next, we went into the office to pick-up my first package from my family which contained the oh-so important icing for my cake!
Isn't the skirt wrapped around the jeans such a lovely addition to the outfit...?? Haha.. my language teacher told me that people will think I am crazy.. which is a frequent occurance anyway.. I told her that I'm starting a new African fashion trend :)
And opening the contents! Mostly things that TSA stole from me or were too heavy to be packed.. plus some cinnamon and garlic powder for bread here!
So.. then the afternoon consisted of mainly baking the cake in the gas oven and skyping with some people! I was super excited that I was able to light the gas stove today. It's the little victories that you celebrate.. so I've been told! There was a moment when I thought that West Africa was going to win the cake battle... the pan was not greased well enough so the cake was not coming out of it too easily... I cut that thing in the middle, dug a couple of spatualas up under it and took it out in two pieces. It started to fall apart on the edges a little bit but nothing the icing wouldn't cover in the end. I won the cake battle!
Here's my starting ingredients... Oh and here's a picture of our tiny kitchen! Fridge to the left, gas stove behind, and sink/cabinets to the right.. really tiny space!
Finished product!
My boo.. aka Kristie sang "Happy Birthday." I wanted to upload the video but it takes way too long. The conversation was hilarious. She at one point told me that I reminded her so much of herself when she was younger that she gave her husband permission that if she died he could track me down and court me. I told her that was the creepiest thing I had ever heard... haha!
Finally, we head over to my immediate supervisor's house for American pizza, ice cream, cake and a movie.
Just look at that beauty! I'm gonna learn how to make this. This country is going to force me to cook.
Most of my team :) Don't worry Stacee.. even though you may see salad and salad dressing here.... none of it made it's way to my plate!
And finally... the funniest thing of the day BY FAR. My supervisors singing their Kenyan version of Happy Birthday:

No comments:
Post a Comment