Better Is One Day

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Recent Happenings

We've been super busy lately.  Here's some fun things that have been happening:



Cleaning out the homeschool room in the center that is being renovated.  We find such neat toys to play with as we sort through all the materials.


I joked with him that I was snapping a photo of his usual...  haha!  Although he is the hardest working of all of us!!


A view of the whole room!



This is the courtyard with the guesthouse in the background.  We are seriously really excited for the potential that this place has..  we are asking Him to show us how best to utilize it when we can open it..hopefully by the beginning of the year.  The ideas include English classes, teams could come host camps, possibly a kids club, etc... :)


Having language for four hours everyday can be an overwhelming thing.  Most of the time, we designate Friday as our "go out" day..  This last Friday, we decided we would cook "chebu-legume."  A famous dish here is "chebu-jenn" which is rice and fish.  These people RAVE about it.  It's seriously the best thing ever to them.  After the standard questions it's always, "Have you eaten chebujenn?"  And while we definitely prefer chebu-jenn over chebu-yapp (explanation- see here ), overall we prefer no meat at all.  Who needs the meat here?  I don't.  Amanda doesn't.  It's much safer when there is no meat.  So we made up our own dish.  Rice and vegetables.  This may sound healthy but the amount of oil necessary to cook it the way they do here negates any nutritional value (not that I really care about that....).  Our teacher was absolutely convinced that it would not be good without the fish.  We proved her wrong.  She actually liked it.. or so she said (as we know all too well the art of saying something is good when it is in fact horrible).  



I'm pretty sure the ladies we bought this from at the market thought we were crazy.  But no, we are legit.


Yes, I did eat these.  Surprising, I know.


Pounding away.



So authentic!  We even have the communal bowl going! 




One day we'll be bold enough to try eating with our hands again.  Until that day - spoons it is.



Got my first outfit made here.  I look ridiculous.  But it's okay because I'm not wearing a skirt!  It's not as crazy when I take the headpiece off although that seems to be the most popular thing when I wear it. 


Well, last but not least, we were unaware that the city can turn your water off whenever they feel like it.  It's not off for just like an hour or so. So this morning, when our house help came, we went to our neighbors with buckets to ask for water if they had any.  Apparently it was on in the middle of the night and people around us knew that so they stocked up... the crazy Americans were asleep instead of collecting water.. ooops.  Luckily, our neighbors gave us some and we got to joke around with them!  I can cross begging for water off my list of things to do in life.


And a very special HAPPY BIRTHDAY to a dear friend, mentor, and monster! :)







No comments:

Post a Comment