I wanted to recap the events surrounding the earthquake that we had here this past week. We're sitting in our session. It's about 1:45. We're finishing early that day at 2:00 so everyone has hit that antsy point where we know freedom is coming. Out of nowhere, this loud sound happens... almost like a plane is flying way too low and it permeates the room. Then the shaking begins. The entire room is shaking. At this point, no one has a clue what is happening. We all start looking around at each other. I'm freaking out on the inside. I see one person stand up and head toward the door and that is all it took. I was on my feet and outside in a flash. And then everyone was out there and the parents went running to the school to make sure kids were okay. After the panic subsided, it was really funny to get people's reactions - some people got on the floor under the tables and then realized that was for a tornado. We were all just in shock. Now this earthquake may not seem like a big deal but about ninety percent of us had never been in one and had no idea what you were even supposed to do in the event of one. The weirdest thing about the entire thing to me was the fluidity of the earth underneath your feet. It was like walking in a fun house or trying to walk (or run) on lava. Strangeness.
We've had a few aftershocks and they're not near as long or intense. The weirdest one happened in the middle of the night. Such a strange feeling to wake up to your bed shaking.
Now, we've got a hurricane heading toward us but being a Florida girl that doesn't bother me so much. I'll take a hurricane over an earthquake any day.
This week has been a little more tough than the others. Trying to stay focused and not get overwhelmed by the overviews of information but just to plug them away for further review. The president came out today and gave us a "toolbox" with five indespensible tools for relationships which I found to be a great session. Plus, when the president comes, we get to eat good food!!
On the agenda for the weekend: tonight, laser-tag for a friend's birthday; tomorrow most likely hunkering down with a pizza and some movies for the storm. I should probably start on the last book that I'm supposed to read too :)
No comments:
Post a Comment