I honestly have no idea what has possessed me to write again. It's summer and I have time to think. My life isn't moving a hundred miles an hour. I probably won't do it for another two years after this one.
Two years later and....
- it all seems like a blur.
- it all seems surreal.
- I feel like I had two lives that are completely disconnected.
- I have a job now that I enjoy.
- I actually sort of, kind of, some of the time like the small town I grew up in.
But.....
- I miss people.
- I miss the community.
- I miss the wisdom of my supervisors.
- I miss living almost every second with one person.
Don't get me wrong. There were PLENTY of days where I wanted to throw in the towel. The idea of coming home was the most amazing thought. I entertained the idea a lot. And I really don't think I would move back this second if given the opportunity. I know that I cannot recreate what we had. Most of the people have moved on.
But sometimes I just can't stop myself from wondering... is this, now, what I truly need to be doing? Am I settling? Am I getting comfortable? Is that such a bad thing? Is there something better? Or what is best? How do I know?
Being overseas, I was an anomaly. Somehow, it's easier being an anomaly overseas than here. At least there, by very definition of an expat, I was strange. Here, I'm not an anomaly by choice. Somehow that makes it different.
I don't know the answers to any of these questions.
Any other former expat ever feel this way?
No comments:
Post a Comment