As you can see - they are clearly dressed for the beach. I am super conservatively dressed by American standards but I look like a floozie compared to them! :) But to be honest, this was the end of the day and they were preparing to go back into the land of covered knees.
Also interesting- we learned that some games are universal. For example, steal the bacon. Or in our case - steal the kite. One girl, instead of tagging me, slapped me across the back. I guess she was making sure that she got me! Another game that girls like to play - you guessed it - truth or dare. And yes, the questions are ALL the same. Namely in the manner of boys. The dares - well, not too many were brave enough to pick dare but one of the girls had to be touched by the seaweed which they found disgusting.
In other news - classes at the centers are going well. I have one class at GY with a student, S, who always is saying something to make me laugh.
One night, we were talking about how Africans lighten their skin with creams and white people tan themselves. Then I changed the subject to a sunburn. So I asked them, "If I sunburn my skin, what color will it be?" Without missing a beat, S said "Green!" I about fell over dying laughing.
Just this past week, in class we were doing the parable of the lost sheep (which doesn't translate well as all my students told me they would NOT go looking for one sheep because 99 was enough). Anyhow - the beginning of that story, the words sinners and tax-collectors are mentioned. I asked if they knew what a tax-collector was. They all said yes. So I asked, "Who do you pay taxes to?" S, again so sure of himself, said, "Jesus." While Jesus is indeed the answer to many questions, it doesn't quite work for that one.
So there's your random update for today. Hope you enjoyed!

No comments:
Post a Comment