Better Is One Day

Monday, May 28, 2012

Hangin with the kiddos!

During the month of May, we have a Kids Club on Saturday mornings.  During my summer in SE Asia, we taught a Kids Club 6 days a week so this is one of my favorite activities!

We went out into the neighborhood and passed out tickets to different children that we ran across.  The idea was that you needed a ticket to get in.  We had to do this for population control.  Also on the ticket was a place for a parent signature.  We passed out 40 tickets because that is the maximum number of children we felt we could accommodate and keep our sanity.  We really didn't have high hopes for the children actually coming with the tickets signed but miraculously about 9 came with signed tickets.  In total, we had about 30-35 children every Saturday morning.

We taught them a little bit of English, sang songs, did a craft, stories (the last day with puppets!) and played silly games.  It was ALOT of fun!  It was also very stressful - kids will be kids in every country but in this culture, there is no concept of a line or much discipline.  Kids do what they please.  So it was definitely a challenge to incorporate order while still being fun.  Each week we seemed to get a little bit better.

Some highlights:
1.  Listening to the children recite stories.  So incredible to see how focused they were and that they were actually paying attention!
2.  Driving up to the center on the last day 30 minutes before KC started to see about children already there and waiting.  They ran up to the car, shouting our names and ready to go!  Loving these guys is what this is about!
3.   Playing Duck-Duck-Goose.  I was it and I chose this little girl to be the goose but little did I know that she was a sprinter and I was genuinely surprised when she caught me!  Into the mush-pot I went.
4.  One week, I couldn't be at KC because I had an eye infection..  The others informed me that the kids were asking where I was..  Super sweet!
5.  Watching Amanda and my supervisor tell a story with puppets - I almost wet myself laughing so hard.
6.  Each week, I would act out different animals and let them guess which one I was.  I scared a little boy because I came up to him quickly and started barking..  The look on his face was hilarious as pure fright!



I hope to add more pictures and videos later but I may not be able to..


No comments:

Post a Comment