Better Is One Day

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

It looks like there was an earthquake!

Once again, I've waited too long to post so this will be completely all over the place.


Sherrill's daughter and friend came to visit her so Amanda and I went with them to Goree Island the first day they were here.  This was the first time that we have gotten to see reactions from brand new people within hours of them being here.  It was really fun to laugh and re-live through them our shock upon first entering. It is amazing how quickly you adjust and get used to your surroundings.  I've forgotten how crazy this place seems upon first arrival.  Case in point, Sherrill's daughter says (referring to a section of town that is crowded, insane, sewage in the streets, just all over filth):  "It looks like there was an earthquake."  We also had fun in town with them right before the left.  What do you do when you have 5 people who need to go somewhere?  Do it African style.  Squeeze into the taxi. 


Don't worry.  I made sure to lock the [not-so] trustworthy doors incase it decided it wanted to open mid-ride.


Next up.  Our classes have begun and are now into the third week.  We teach at two different places.  I have a very beginning class at the B center.  I completely underestimated what it takes to prepare for a class where you can't speak either of their languages fluently.  Please try to imagine explaining "Go ahead" (especially to a culture where there is no concept of letting someone else go in front of you...)  So my theatre skills are coming in handy.  I either act out or draw pictures to get the point across and if that fails, the French dictionary comes out.  So my #1 favorite thing- Internet; #2- A fan and #3- French Dictionary.  Just so you understand how high up on the list it is.  At the other center, I teach a Pre-Intermediate class so they have a good English base which is really nice.  I'm also REALLY excited because hopefully the next round of classes at the B Center, we will get to do a kid's club which is my absolute favorite!!!  It is really nice to be "finished" with formal language study and actually feel like we're being "useful" here now.  Here are some fun pictures:


Gary - working hard :)  Please notice the circa 1873 computer! haha


A few of our students and the guard for the center :)


Class picture at the B Center our company owns! :)  [Missing a couple people]


And here is the Pre-Intermediate class that I teach!  I'm missing a couple girls.  These guys are a blast to teach!


Teaching English is hard but it's worth it!  My students make me laugh every single day and I think I entertain them thoroughly with my terrible pronounciation of French and my toddler-ish Wolof.  Getting laughed at is just part of the package deal but it's all good.. I just laugh at myself with them.


We tried to visit with our "family" here but most of them were out of town in the village so we just talked to the dad outside for a bit and petted his sheep.  He takes the best care of the sheep and they are really sweet!  It is really refreshing to find someone who cares for their animals and doesn't drag them by the feet/horns/etc.  This one, Beatty, gives you "kisses."  We are heading back over Friday to spend the day with them and hopefully share some stories about a great Shepherd :)


No comments:

Post a Comment