Better Is One Day

Friday, November 23, 2012

Tales of the Isle!

So much has happened and I haven't updated in over a month. Honestly, it's just a lot of work to keep this thing updated. First off, I celebrated my second birthday in Africa! Lots of food, fun and friends. 

 Second, and the reason for this post: We went to the island! 
 Some extended family members of mine came for a week out in the middle of nowhere spent with some of the most beautiful people you can find on this earth. The week was amazing as we got to see many seeds that have been planted take root! It was super refreshing and encouraging to me in more ways that I know how to say. I am forever grateful to this family for giving us the opportunity to tag along! There are so many things that I could write here that would only be funny to the 6 people on the trip that I'll spare you.  Instead, I'll just upload as many photos and videos as my patience can manage to give you an idea of how we spent our week :)



The whole crew + all our luggage + approximately 100 liters of water + a huge sac of veggies & rice = one heavy boat 
"Are we getting in the other boat?"






After a plane and a car ride - we get to the boat.  There was no advance warning that the mangroves would be attacking us...  At the end you can hear, "So if I say down, down!"  





Our campsite!


It was quite ridiculous how many pictures of trees we ended up with - the beauty in the south is breathtaking!


We got to see these critters daily - on trails, on tents, in tents, everywhere!  But don't worry - they no bother you ;)


These kids LOVE to dance!


Look at that smile!


They loved coming to the campside!  Betty "reading" (as much as you can with no common language)  :)



This is for you, Betty!
Disclaimer:   Since I have the gift of delayed mercy, let me first say:  We are not happy that you were bitten by a ginormous bug.  However, as this dramatic sketch shows, the irony in the situation was what was funny :)


And our African attire!




P-Donnie, Papa Smurf, PD, Eeyore can boogie!!!


On the boat ride back to the mainland.

This was an amazing week but also made me somewhat homesick.  Catching up on what's going on in the lives of the people I know made me only miss them more!  But I know the time is literally around the corner that I'll get to see everyone again.  In the meantime, lots of work still left to do but also - lots more fun things in the future as well!  

1 comment:

  1. This blog post made me so happy for you. I'm so glad you got to see them/spend time down there!! How awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete